Kedarkantha Trek is in the mountain peak of the Himalayas in Uttarakhand, India. Its elevation is 12,500 ft (3,800 m). Kedarkantha Trek is within Govind Wildlife Sanctuary in Uttarkashi district. The climb to the peak during the Kedarkantha Trek starts from a small village called Sankri. There are a total of 13 peaks of the Himalayan range visible from the Kedarkantha peak. The experience of the summit climb is very special and stays with you for a long time. There is a lake called Juda-ka-Talab, the locals say that once upon a time Lord Shiva meditated at Kedarkantha. Its name implies so from the droplet fallen from Shiva’s hair to form this lake named as Juda-ka-Talab. It usually takes 4 days to complete the climb of the Kedarkantha peak! Kedarkantha Trek is said to be one of the best winter treks in India.
Day 1: Dehradun to Sankri (7-9 Hours):
We report at Dehradun Railway Station at 6.30 am. We will board the tempo traveller from the Dehradun Railway station and move towards Sankri. This will be a long journey through the scenic mountains of Uttarakhand. Arrive in Sankri, which is the starting point of the trek. The distance from Dehradun to Sankri is about 200 km and it takes about 8 hours of drive. Sankri is a beautiful village in the Uttarkashi district. The entire route is very scenic and mesmerizing, with especially the last part in which we pass through Govind life sanctuary. Once at Sankri, we will serve you tea and snacks. Post tea, all members will undergo the registration process and will attend the briefing for the trek. Get yourself geared for the trek and keep your rucksack as light as possible. Have dinner and sleep well.
Day 2: Sankri to Juda Ka Taal (9000 FT, 5 Kms trek)
Post breakfast around 9, we begin our trek and leave for the first campsite Juda Ka Taal from Sankri. The trek distance is just 5 Kms and is easy all the way till Juda Ka Taal campsite. Spot woodpeckers on the way as they are pretty common in the region. Encounter a larger green meadow on the way, which is generally used as a lunch point for the trekkers. Swargarohini peak can be seen from here. The trek is easy with full of amazing views. Overnight stay at Juda Ka Taal.
Day 3: Juda ka Taal to Kedarkantha Base Camp (11,200 FT, 4 Kms trek)
The trek from Juda Ka Taal campsite to Kedarkantha base camp is short but starts early to suit against the snow conditions. It takes around 3-4 hours to reach the Kedarkantha base camp. At night, the snow-clad mountain peaks shine bright as the moon, and we will clearly see Kedarkantha from the campsite. Sleep early to get ready for the early summit push for the peak.
Day 4: Kedarkantha Base Camp – Kedarkantha (12,500 FT) – Hargaon (8,450 FT, 6 km trek)
Start the day early with a wake-up call at 2:30 AM for the summit push. The trek is strenuous as it gets steep at a few points. The trek commences at 4 AM with head torches at a slow-moving pace towards the summit. The way light comes and what happens in the sky is amazing, a variety of colors you will see in the sky. The summit offers some of the most spectacular views of the Yamunotri and Gangotri ranges. At the summit, we will spend some time and return back to the Hargaon campsite.
Day 5: Hargaon –Sankri (6 Kms trek)
The last day of the trek is easy with snow slopes to descend. It usually takes around 4 hours to descend from Hargaon to Sankri.
Day 6: Sankri to Dehradun (7-9 Hours)
This is the last day of the trip. With a bag full of memories, you will leave for Dehradun post breakfast. The journey will be approximately 8 hours long. Please do keep some buffer while planning your flight/train tickets. The journey may take more than the anticipated time due to snowfall, traffic and various other reasons.
Things to Carry:
- Accommodation: Stay will be in tents on a triple sharing basis from Day 1 to Day 5. If you are a couple, please notify us.
- Cloakroom: Members can keep their extra luggage at the base camp.
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch, snacks, and dinner is included. We provide simple, nutritious Veg/Jain food on all days of the trek. (Dinner from Day 1 to Breakfast on Day 6)
- Camping charges: All trekking permits and forest camping charges are included.
- Gaiters and Microspikes: Gaiters help against snow entering from the sides of the shoes while microspikes will help in giving extra traction on slippery patches of snow
- Trekking equipment: High-quality tents and sleeping bags in all the camps.
- Safety equipment and Emergency: First aid kit, oxygen cylinders, oximeter, etc. will be with guide/trek leader and at the campsite as well to deal with emergencies.
- Expert trek Leaders: All our trek leaders are at least qualified in basic/advanced mountaineering and first aid course.
- Expert Trek support team: The mountain staff on this trek consists of certified guides, cooks, helpers.
- Anything not mentioned in the Inclusion
- Breakfast and Lunch on Day 1 is not included in the package. (Travel from Dehradun to Sankri).
- Lunch on Day 6 is not included in the package. (Travel from Sankri to Dehradun).
- Any personal expenses on the trip
- Cost of Emergency
- Cost arising due an unforeseen incidents or circumstances beyond the control of the agency
- Carry a rucksack for the trek. Trolley bags/Suitcases/strollers/duffel bags will not be allowed.
- If informed earlier, we can provide backpack offloading at additional cost of Rs.1500/- with a bag limit of 9Kg. Last Minute offloading charges will be Rs. 2000/-